Meanwhile on 23rd March, the 2nd Volunteer Company left Bury for Capetown, where they arrived on April 14th. By September 1900 it was clear that the Receiver who was managing the Eastern Counties Navigation and Transport Company Limited, had decided to throw in the towel.
He had been unable to raise more capital, and began to sell off the assets.
The extra ornamental detailing probably indicated a higher priced dwelling than normal.
Bury still voted Conservative, this time electing the very well known brewer, now Sir E Walter Greene, Bt, who lived his life as a wealthy sporting country gentleman.
Thirty men from the 2nd Volunteer Battalion joined others from East Suffolk, Cambridgeshire and Cambridge University to train at Bury. At 5.30 am, in a blinding snowstorm, they were cheered off at Bury train station by hundreds of local people. Rural life was however, in decline as foreign food imports undermined agricultural prices and thus wages.
Bury was home to about 16,000 people, and building continued to be needed to house them. A good builder might make £10 profit on a house sold for £100. Houses were largely built in pairs, or small terraces, like the pair of grandly named "villas" illustrated here in Hospital Road.By 1903 a further 10 kilowatts capacity would be added, and further extensions would be carried out in 19.The site of the electricity undertaking is nowadays a car park, and Prospect Row is the road off King's Road which in the year 2002 was the major access road to the whole Cattle Market car park site.The White Lion on the corner of Short Brackland was removed to make way for the Cornhill Walk shopping development. This very long established inn stood on the Cornhill at the top of St Johns Street.Like the White Lion nearby it was not a coaching inn, but was a major Carrier's House because it was next to the Great Market.